Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

Is MMIA a government agency?

Yes, the MMIA was created under the authority of the Montana Interlocal Cooperation Act (Title 7-11, Parts 1 through 4, MCA). The MMIA is owned by the cities and towns who participate in its coverage programs. The MMIA operates as an interlocal government agency.

Who do I speak to about Loss Reports?

The Risk Management Department or Supervisors of the respective Unit.

I have a question about a loss report I received.

If the question or concern is about reading the report, contact the Risk Management Department. If it is about a specific claim on the report, contact the Adjuster assigned to the claim.

My city / town is a member of MMIA; how do I get claims forms?

For Workers’ Compensation, Liability and Property claims, you can eFile under the respective department categories on the website menu.

What are the leading causes of work place injuries among MMIA members?

The leading causes of work place injuries among MMIA members include lifts or pushes & pulls of more than 50 pounds per person, non-use of personal protective equipment, and slips & falls.

Is there a fee for training from MMIA?

All our training is free of charge to members.

Who processes medical claims?

Allegiance Benefit Plan Management of Missoula, MT has entered into a contract with the MMIA EB Program to process claims for our membership. Most healthcare providers will submit claims on our members’ behalf, but if you do need to file a claim, it should be mailed to PO Box 5066, Missoula, MT 59806-5006.

How can I find an in-network provider?

For medical providers, go to and click on 'Provider Search' on the left hand side of the page. You can also contact customer service with Allegiance at 866-339-4308 for assistance.For dental providers, go to, click on 'Patients', and then on 'Dentist Search'. You can also contact customer service with Delta Dental at 800-521-2651 for assistance.

How do I get help with a medical claim?

Allegiance Customer Service personnel are available at 1-866-339-4308 to answer questions regarding benefits and claims processing. Claims inquiries can also be made via the Alligiance website’s secure services at 

When should a new employee enroll?

A new employee is eligible to enroll in the Program after the employee has met the employer’s waiting or probation period as determined by the employer’s personnel policy. Application must be made within 31 days of eligibility date; otherwise the employee would be considered a late enrollee and would not be able to apply for benefits until the next annual open enrollment period, which is May 15 through June 15.

What is a "pre-existing condition?"

A pre-existing condition is a condition for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was received within six months prior to the employee or eligible dependent’s effective date of coverage.

What is Creditable Coverage?

Creditable coverage is prior health care coverage that is taken into account to determine the allowable length of credit given toward meeting the pre-existing waiting period.

How do I prove Creditable Coverage?

A Certificate of Creditable Coverage is presented to the group health or individual plan with enrollment application. When a covered member of the MMIA loses health benefits, a Certificate of Creditable coverage is generated within 30 days of the loss of coverage. If the employee requests a Certificate of Creditable Coverage it will be generated within 24 hours of the request.

Is Pregnancy a pre-existing condition?

Pregnancy is not subject to the pre-existing condition limitation. However, becoming pregnant does not create a special enrollment period.

What is special enrollment period?

Employees and eligible dependents may enroll if certain qualifying events occur. Written application must be made within 31 days of the event.  Such events include marriage, birth or adoption of a child, change in employment status or involuntary loss of coverage.

When does a newborn's coverage begin?

Employees and eligible dependents may enroll if certain qualifying events occur. Written application must be made within 31 days of the event.  Such events include marriage, birth or adoption of a child, change in employment status or involuntary loss of coverage.

What is the maximum age for dependents to remain on the plan?

In compliance with federal health requirements, eligible dependents can remain on the plan through age 26 regardless of student or marriage status.  Refer to the Summary Plan Description (SPD) in the Plan Documents on this site for complete eligibility guidelines.

What if I have an injury on the job?

Although the Montana Workers' Compensation statutes allow for injuries to be reported to your employer within 30 days of the occurrence, it is strongly recommended you report all injuries to your supervisor/employer as soon as possible. We recommend, whether or not you receive medical treatment, that you report minor injuries as well to your employer. Once you have reported the injury to your employer, a First Report of Injury and/or Occupational Disease form must be completed, signed and submitted to your workers' compensation insurance carrier.

Are my worker's compensation medical benefits open forever?

No. Medical benefits terminate when they are not used for a period of sixty (60) consecutive months.

What if I can't work for a while?

If you suffer a total loss of wages due to your injury or occupational disease, you may be eligible for temporary total disability (TTD) benefits until your physician releases you to return to employment. You may receive weekly compensation of 66 ⅔% of your gross wages at the time of injury – up to the maximum rate of $573 per week. These benefits are payable after 4 days or 32 hours of wage loss, whichever is less.

What medical benefits are provided?

Once MMIA accepts your injury or occupational disease claim, you are entitled to reasonable doctor, hospital, prescription and medical care costs. Allowable charges are paid according to a medical fee schedule. You do not have to pay the balance between what the medical provider charges and what the MMIA pays.

Does MMIA provide liability coverage for skateboard parks?

The MMIA Memorandum of Liability Coverage specifically excludes liability associated with skateboard parks.  Section 10.2.17 states that the Memorandum excludes Any liability arising out of the use of a structure designed to facilitate the operation or use of a skateboard, whether or not the structure is utilized for skateboarding purposes. However, this EXCLUSION does not apply to liability arising out of the use of a structure designed to facilitate the operation or use of a skateboard if the COVERED PARTY has applied for and received from the Authority an ENDORSEMENT for Skateboard Facilities.

The MMIA decided to provide liability coverage for skateboard parks by endorsement in 1998. Coverage for municipally owned and operated skateboard facilities has been provided at no additional premium through an endorsement to the MMIA Memorandum of Liability Coverage. However, the coverage is dependent upon the facility meeting a prescribed set of standards:

  • Member must apply for endorsement
  • The facility must be designed and constructed by a professional firm with previous skateboard park experience.
  • This firm must provide proof of their own liability coverage and maintain continuous coverage during design and construction of the skateboard facility.

In summary, the MMIA will only provide coverage for municipal skateboard park facilities if the municipality applies for the endorsement and demonstrates that it exercised due diligence by ensuring the park was designed by a responsible design professional who has professional liability insurance.  If your community has a skateboard park, or is contemplating constructing a skateboard park, it would be wise to check and ensure that you have coverage for that facility.  To obtain the endorsement for liability coverage for skateboard facilities, municipalities must submit a completed application to the MMIA.

Click here for the application.

When do I have to notify MMIA of changes?

All changes must be submitted at least once each year with your property renewal (usually occurs in February through April). Any change in covered structures/real property, regardless of value, must be reported as it occurs throughout the year. Any change in personal property with value of $100,000 or more must be reported as it occurs throughout the year. Changes in vehicles with values of $100,000 or more must be reported throughout the year. Changes in vehicles and equipment valued @ less than $100,000 need only be reported at renewal. Note: Any single change of $700,000 or more, reported in the 1st six months of a policy period is subject to additional premium.

What MCA pertains to bonding and crime coverage?

MCA 2-9-801 to 2-9-805.  Particularly under 2-9-804 (2) which references requirements for self-insurance pool insuring cities and towns as authorized under 2-9-211.

(800) 635 3089

MMIA Events Calendar

Send Documents

Contact Us

For general questions, comments or concerns, please contact customer service.

  • 3115 McHugh Dr.
    PO Box 6669
    Helena, MT 59604-6669

  • (800) 635 3089

  • FAX: (406) 449-7440